About Lauren's Foundation
Lauren’s Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was created by the family of Lauren Fitzgerald, a life-long Berks County, PA resident who died in 2005 from complications related to a brain tumor that was diagnosed in 2004. The Foundation honors Lauren’s memory by supporting local families through a variety of charitable funds that support high school seniors, families with seriously ill children, brain tumor research and organ donation awareness. A quote from American poet Maya Angelou, adopted by Lauren following her diagnosis, serves as the guiding principle for much of the Foundation’s work.
"I can be changed by what happens to me. I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou
The Foundation recognizes, supports and celebrates individuals and families that persevere, despite significant, adverse life circumstances and difficulties.
- Support families that are caring for loved ones afflicted with a brain tumor or other serious illness by providing financial assistance with living expenses.
- Provide scholarships and recognition for students that have faced adverse life circumstances, yet persevered in the face of their adversity to excel academically and personally.
- Raise awareness of brain tumors and how they affect individuals and families.
- Promote brain tumor research and the search for a cure with an annual donation to the American Brain Tumor Association (ABTA).
- Raise awareness of the organ donation process and encourage people to consider organ donation.
Since 2005, Lauren's Foundation has worked towards advancing our mission. Through fundraising and sponsorship, donors gave over $200,000 to Lauren's Foundation funds, strengthening the Reading and Berks community.